Lahti and Lappeenranta, two Finnish cities that are both environmental forerunners, are launching an international challenge campaign, the purpose of which is to encourage people to take an interest in the cleanliness of their environment by collecting litter.
We challenge all residents, students, politicians, authorities, families, schools, jobs, associations, businesses, cities and communities - all around the world to spend one hour to collect garbage.
How to participate
How: Choose one hour in May and collect garbage where every you want
Tell us about your results
Take a picture and post it on social media using hashtag #zeropollutionhour
Participants were able to tell where they collected garbage and how much (Number of garbage bags and face masks collected)
Map was open between 1.-31.5.2021.
You can also find us on Facebook.
DID YOU KNOW
- that plastic does not decompose in nature
- that the plastic is always broken down into smaller and more invisible pieces, strands, microplastics and nanoplastics
- that plastic moves in the food chain, in soil, water and air
- that plastic acts as a carrier, transporting harmful compounds and microbes even through the cell membrane in organisms and food chains.
- that the cigarette butt is made of plastic and also contains a lot of harmful chemicals
This campaign is part of EU Green Week's main theme Zero pollution. Campaign is organized together with Green Capital Lahti.